- The running boy is Hasby. ( The boy who is running is Hasby)
The running shoes are very expensive.(= The shoes for running are very expensive)
- The walking man wants to meet you.
The old man needs a walking stick.
A. Active Participle
Examples: 1. Having opened the drawer, I take the gun.
= After I have opened the drawer, I take the gun.
2. Walking along the garden, I met my wife.
When/While I was walking along the garden, I met my wife.
3. Being sick, she doesn’t go to school.
= Because she is sick, she doesn’t go to school.
4. Being an outstanding student, he has got a scholarship.
= As an outstanding student, he has got a scholarship.
5. Trying hard to win beauty contest, she neglected all her school assignment.
= Since she tried hard to win beauty contest, she neglected ……
6. It is dangerous for the people living nearby a river.
= It is dangerous for the people who lives nearby a river.
7. One of the person presenting a paper at the seminar was Mr. X
= One of the person who presented a paper at he seminar was ……
8. I meet the man smiling.
=I meet the man who smiling
=I meet the smiling man
9. After the verb of sensation: see, watch, monitor, observe, notice, listen,
hear, smell, touch, taste, catch, feel.
E.g.: We saw a man trying to get on our roof.
10. Turning to the right, you will find the post office.
= If you turn to the right, you will find the post office.
B. Passive Participle
Examples: 1. Having been beaten by me, Eric became a polite man.
= After Eric had been beaten by me, he become a polite man.
2. We promised to give you the photo taken by him last week.
= We promised to give you the photo that was taken by him.
- Surrounded by the mountain, the city has a cool climate.
= Because the city is surrounded by the mountain, the city has….
- Her broken heart would make her disappointed.
= Her heart which was broken would make her disappointed.
- On my way home, I saw a dog being beaten by a boy.
On my way home, I saw a dog which was being beaten by a boy.
THE PRESENT and PAST PARTICIPLES as ADJECTIVES
Examples: This is tiring work. (the work is tiring to us)
He is a tired boy. (the boy himself is tired)
The story is interesting. (the story interests someone)
John is interested. (something interests John)