COUNTRY ADJECTIVE; PERSON /
–ian / – -an
Saudi Arabia Saudi Arabian
Great Britain British
German (y) German
Hong Kong Hong Kong
I ENGLISH SYLLABUS
L FOR SMA 3 YEAR
1. Expressing Capability I Incapability
• Now there are a lot of children who are able to operate a computer.
• I am sure you are capable of doing that job since you have enough experience.
• The suitcase is very heavy. He can’t carry it himself.
• He seems to be incapable of understanding simple instruction.
• She couldn’t speak the local language when she moved here two years ago.
• I have ability in I I am good at I I know how to
• ldon’thaveabllityin Ilamnotgoodat /ldon’tknowhowto
2. Expressing Pleasure / Displeasure
• It gives me great pleasure to hear of your success.
• That’s fantastic! I That’s incredible! I How marvelous I tremendous I wonderful
• I’m very pleased with it I I’m delighted to hear that
• Oh, no! I What a nuisance I I really hate /l’m very disappointed/I can’t stand / I am extremely displeased to I I am fed up with
,, 3. Expressing possibility / Impossibility
• there is a good chance of improving your English if you practise it everyday.
• lere is very little chance that you will be employed in that company since you have vfà relevant qualifications at all.
• It’s likely I May bel perhaps! probably! It’s not unlikely! There is possibility….
• It’s unlikely I It’s impossible!not possible! not probable/may be not I It’s very doubiful….
4. Expressing Certainty / uncertainty
• I am sure Il am certain IYes, really! of course It am convinced
• I am not sure/ not certain /Of course not! Certainly not /l am not convinced/I doubt
a The leader is a hundred percent certain about the program
• I can’t say for sure.
• The student is not at all convinced that he’ll be successful.
5. Expressing Agreent I Disagrccmcnt
• He agreed with the opinion of the majority.
a don’t have any objection to the idea.
• I approve of your plan I You’re right I That’s a good idea! I think so I That’s true.
a I disagree! I don’t think so I I don’t approve
6. Expressing something is not correct
• I deny that
a No, it’s not actually
• That’s not true
• It isn’t right, is it?
7. Expressing satisfaction / dissatisfaction
• Students were not satisfied with the course they took.
• I am very satisfiedlpleased!happy
• Yes, I like it/I can’t complain I ifs enjoyful
• I am displeased! dissatisfied! unhappy! disappointed
• No, I don’t like it I I complain / it is boring / dull
8. Expressing warning I advice
a Take care when you cross the road.
• Whatever you do, do it carefully.