Form of “be” : is, am, are was, were, to be, be been, being.
Function of “be” :
- 1. As a main verb :
- be + a noun Bill is a manager
- be + an adjective He is intelligent
- be + a prep. Phrase He is in his room
- As an auxiliary verb :
- Continuous verb tense He is taking case of some guest
- Passive sentence I was born in Mojokerto
- 3. Used with the infinitive
- To convey orders or instructions:
No one is to leave this building without the permission of the police (=no one must leave)
He is to stay here till we return (= he must stay)
- To convey a plan :
She is to be married next month
The expedition is to start in a week’s time
In headlines the verb “be” is often omitted to save space:
Prime minister to make statement tomorrow.
- Express the immediate future :
They are about to start = They are just going to start. / They are not the point of starting.
They are just about to leave ( more immediate )
- To express a more remote future, usually a future in the past :
They said goodbye, little knowing that they were never to meet again (= were never destined to meet)